Monday 16 September 2013

My Musical Confessions

Confession:

I have music that I like - music that I love and music that if someone doesn't shut it off, my tendencies for migraines may return.

Music is a series of wavelengths and I find that very interesting when you look at the phases of our lives and the music that is most familiar with that age group. Here is what I mean;

When we are babies, our caregivers hum or sing soothing songs to us to calm us down, make us feel safe or lull us to sleep.

As young children, songs are fun! I remember tunes like 'The Farmer in the Dell' and 'Three Blind Mice.' There always seemed to be some sort of a conundrum in these songs. I used to be quite fond of 'Ring Around the Rosie' until I learned (as an adult) it had actually been written about the Bubonic Plague.

I did find this write up about one of my favorite songs:
Ring Around the Rosie
When a person contracted the Bubonic Plague, they would gain rose-colored, puss-filled sores on their body called rosies. As the infection spread, rings would wind around the rosies. "Ring around the rosie," refers to these rings.
Pocket Full of Posies
During the time of the Bubonic Plague, people realized that it was harmful to go around the body of someone who had died from the plague. The common practice in some areas of Europe was to fill the shirt or jacket pocket of the deceased with posies so that others would know to leave the body alone.
"Pocket full of posies," was what would soon happen after the person started getting the rings around the rosie. Once the rings started to form, the undertaker would be called to prepare the posies.
Ashes Ashes
Once the body of the person who had died from the plague had been taken away, it would be burned. This is essentially when cremation started as a form of burial.
There was a lot of worry that extra handling of the body could cause people to get sick. There was also worry by some that the body would come back in the form of a vampire or some other type of the walking dead. Burning the body was the only true option they had.
We All Fall Down
It was believed by many that eventually that Bubonic Plague would wipe out all of civilization. It is understandable why they had this belief because of the number of people that were dying everyday from the Plague.
The Black Death killed off an estimated 20-35% of the population of Eurasia during its historic run. It was nearly impossible for anyone to not know at least one person who died from the Plague at the time.
This nursery rime has been with us for centuries, and will probably be sung for centuries more. It is interesting about how many people have sung this song without knowing what it meant.
Published by L. Vincent Poupard

YUCK!

Seriously? We had all been singing songs about plague death and burning bodies - and none of us had thought to ask or think twice.

'London Bridge is Falling Down' is either about a viking attack, child sacrifice or the age and damage of the bridge causing its demise. No one is certain. I personally don't require that particular knowledge.

When we are teenagers, our music tends to be whatever our parents can't stand. I admit, I used to listen to all of my parents cool albums around the age of 10 - I thought they were great! I still do - and much of my taste in music is because of the foundation they set for me.

When I was in high school - it was the 1980's. I apologize for this retrospective list of artists I listened to whilst a teenager. I call it 'The Melting Pot of Musical Mayhem.'

ARTISTS I LISTENED TO:

Bon Jovi
Skid Row
Def Leppard
Madonna
Samantha Fox
Roxette
Pat Benetar
Simon & Garfunkel
Wilson Phillips
Metallica
Alice Cooper
Aerosmith
The Rolling Stones
AC/DC

The list could go one forever - and it does - with some of the most embarrassing artists I dare not say I listened to. People think they know me - but here are 5 little known things about me and music that will certainly change the way you look at me.

1.> I once attended a 'Color Me Badd' concert because one of my two sisters couldn't go. THEY were going. I wasn't. For a reason.
I know what you're thinking - Color Me Badd? Really? 

It was like New Kids on the Block at the time - but they wore cartoon looking outfits and thought they were suave.

There was a lot of screaming female fans and flashing lights. I remember thinking I was so grateful I had been a 'Duran Duran Fan' - those guys were cool. Still are or so I hear.

OVERALL CONCERT EXPERIENCE: 
The good part: It ended.
The bad part: They opened for Paula Abdul. Straight up.


2.> I pleaded for tickets and willing went to a George Michael Concert - The Faith Tour. 

That was one of the best shows! 

Sadly, George went on to make headlines all over the news and shatter a dream of mine - but look at that facial hair and that pleather! 

Back in the 80's it was all about the look. He did it well. Plus the music kind of ticked off the parents so there was that.....

At this concert I remember George Michael slipped on a rose someone had tossed on the stage. I watched it happen.....he wasn't impressed.

OVERALL CONCERT EXPERIENCE: 
The good part: I bought the T-shirt, the album, the program the glasses, the chains and the whole idea that he really liked that shimmying lady on stage with him.
The bad part: He shaved the goatee.

3.> I saw 5 Bon Jovi concerts by the time I was 21 years old.

I remember being dropped off at BC Place Stadium and feeling such freedom! I think it was 1987 - I would have been 15 years old. There were giant banners of the group on the side of that ginormous building and my breath was gone. Awe had me!

(Seriously - look at that face!)

The band always put on a great show and I loved the variety between hard rocking songs and the slow, loving ballads. They hung it all out there for us and we couldn't get enough. Not only that, but the guy is one of the richest who is willing to share types. Read all about it here.

OVERALL CONCERT EXPERIENCE: 
The good part: Jon Bon Jovi and the whole group playing their best stuff. I even attended one concert with pneumonia. I wasn't missing that!
The bad part: I could have had better seats. Like on stage.....

4.> Alanis Morissette was the most boring concert I have ever been to - and I saw The Irish Rovers in Vancouver at Expo 86.

I remember there being a lot of hair flinging - of course, I saw her in her grunge days. She kind of interested me only because she was 'out there' but I lost interest after that concert....

....and I really preferred her a bopping teenager where she sang that cool song, 'Too Hot.'



You will love this. I had the same hair in Grade 12.



OVERALL CONCERT EXPERIENCE: 
The good part: I went with great friends.
The bad part: The hair flinging and Cranberry-esque screeching.

5.> I once caught a guitar pick from a Cheap Trick concert. Still have it.
OK - I didn't actually catch it myself - I paid the kid who did $2 and he more than willingly gave it up.

I still have it.

Music 'does things' to us - makes us move and creates feelings and emotional responses that can definitely change moods. I now know why I locked myself away with my music so often.

Experiment with your favorite tunes and find out why they 'get to you' too.

Rock your day!


No comments:

Post a Comment