Sunday 22 September 2013

I Don't Wanna Grow Up

I still don't feel like an adult. There I said it....

I really, really consider this a good thing in life.

Now, rest assured this doesn't mean I'm not responsible, punctual and professional - I definitely am - but I still try to see the world through the eyes of someone experiencing things for the first time.

I get excited about a thunderstorm every single time and giggle and snuggle up under the blankets - why? 'Cuz thunder sounds creepy and lightning looks incredible! Nature provides a visual spectacular and I'm going to enjoy it - it's a freebie!

It's open season on tickle fights at our house - and with luck my hands aren't in the kitchen sink doing dishes when they attack....I like to be prepared.

I secretly still believe fart noises are hilarious - but only if you make them on your arm like a professional. Avoid the sensory overload of gross - go straight for the funny.

When I was a kid, my 'Nan and Pa' would clear the dining room of all furniture, and the whole lot of us would dance to their favorite songs. It is a memory I will cherish forever - because the sound of people laughing and having fun filled the room and even carried out to the street where the neighbors could hear us. It is infectious and fills us with joy and wonderous memories.

The best is a full, honest laugh that one can't control.....I love em!

Life's short, people.....

We have ridiculous names for things that I swear were invented just to make you laugh. Passing gas is 'tooting', 'sketching has been nicknamed 'doodling,' and our candies are called Smarties, Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Nerds.

We also have the Canadian Toonie. If you haven't given any of these names serious thought and caught yourself laughing, you may not be human after all.

The world needs more silly! I love going to garage sales to try on the strange hats and funky glasses they sell - or grab the camera one afternoon and go hunting for the perfect place to take photos. It is spending time together doing creative and fun things that might just make us feel youthful (because we are).

Once I had a child of my own (when I was 33 years old), I had the perfect excuse to act silly in public without (many) strange looks - super bonus! She is just as silly as her dad and I (wonder why) - so the three of us make a great trifecta.

When we go anywhere - to a museum, park or on some outdoor adventure around our home, we are always finding the silly in the situation. Laughing is what we all love to do and if we ever need a great way to de-stress, we only have to spend time together and mix up some fun.


If you see us at a grocery store and we can hear the music over the PA - you might catch us dancing in the aisle. We've considered a routine. The shopping cart is really a pirate ship so you best get out of the way or Captain Our Daughter might take your stuff!

We've hit costume shops and spend time being goofy and letting out our inner whoever for a good giggle. Halloween is always a riot and I get to go out on the candy circuit again - it's the experience!

We also surround ourselves with friends who share the same love of laughing and living. If you want to feel young - hang out with a terrific bunch of people who are supportive, encouraging.....and silly!

Growing old is mandatory - our bodies are going to break down over time and the rest is....well....up to someone else, I guess....we don't know how much time we have - and sitting around wondering gets us nowhere. I wasn't handed a booklet when I showed up in the maternity ward so I don't have all of the answers. I just know I feel my best when I am laughing and feeling good.

I lived a portion of my life being very serious. Laughter wasn't a real part of it - and if I did laugh, it was probably a phony one. I wasn't a happy camper and it showed in my actions and words. Silly had long left the building.....

One day years later, silly returned! Thanks to what we'll call 'divorce' I found the real me again and returned to my life-loving silly self! It's amazing how we can completely lose ourselves living a busy mismatched life.

Silly is back and it reigns supreme! If I wrote down all of the wacky thoughts I had in a day, people would stop showing up here........or readership would skyrocket.


Life is funny - and no matter how it goes, we should always look for the silly because without it, we seem to miss the complete balance.

Let loose - be silly sometimes! Remember to use common sense - silly is probably frowned upon at the presidential debates, any cross country border stops, memorial services or.......let's just say there are times and places. Balance.
Hubby and I take our responsibility as parents very seriously - and as teachers (and learners) of the next generations we believe that balancing real life responsibility with surreal life magic, fun and a case of the sillies is a terrific thing.

We've put our irresponsible, pre-adult random of acts of stupid behind us and will use them as lessons.....so far so good. Life happens and we'll do the best we can with what we have where we are - and we'll laugh too!

Laughing is a natural stress reducer - and remember;  if you can't laugh at yourself.......you shouldn't be laughing at anyone else either.

What makes you laugh?

No comments:

Post a Comment